OIL WARMERS AND DIFFUSERS
Aromatherapy has so many benefits both emotional and physical. There are a variety of ways to use essential oils but one of the best and most efficient methods is through inhalation. Using an oil warmer or diffuser will provide you with and excellent way to accomplish this.
Before we describe our essential oil warmers, we'd like to tell you it's important for you to understand just a little bit of science behind the use of essential oils. We'll briefly explain just a little of how inhalation works in our body, then later we'll describe how to use your warmer.
When we inhale an essential oil, little molecules travel through the nasal cavity and are picked up by the tiny hairs and mucous in our nose. They pass through the membranes traveling along the olfactory nerve and into the brain. This is a direct route to the part of the brain where our subconcious memories are stored and research explains this is the reason we experience memories being stirred by aromas. The molecules travel through the nose into the bloodstream and down through our bronchial tubes and into our lungs where more blood carries them throughout the body delivering the therapeutic properties of an essential oil. Interestingly, because they travel this route through the body, they work even if your sense of smell is diminished!
Our oil warmers are made to heat essential oil blends in a water base over a low heat, using a tea light candle, gently releasing subtle aromas as they evaporate into the air.
You can choose to simmer essential oils in one of our attractive oil warmers or select our more elegant electric diffuser unit. You will be delighted with the marvelous array of fine oil warmers we have to offer in a rainbow of colors and styles. They make a great gift or an attractive home or office decoration. Whichever direction you choose to go, all should be used with caution, following proper safety guidelines.
Things you will need:
- Oil warmer
- Essential Oil Blend
- Unscented tea light candle
- Lighter or matches
- Decide where you will place your oil warmer. Make sure it is place on a level, heat resistant and clutter-free surface to minimize risk of fire. Make sure the area is open and has good airflow.
- If you are using an electric model, be sure the cord is safely tucked away from tripping and always keep out of reach of children!
- If your dish or reservoir is removable, set it aside to ensure more safety when you light your candle.
- Prepare your tea light candle. It is best to use an unscented tea light candle to avoid mixing aromas with your essential oil blend. Find the wick of the candle and make it stand up straight and trim the wick prior to first use to 1/4 inch. Place the tea light safely into the candle chamber if one is provided.
- Light your candle. Check to be sure it's burning safely. Keep the flame away from your essential oil blend.
- Carefully place the dish filled with warm water to the rounded area of the reservoir. Before adding any of your essential oil blends refer to the instructions to determine how much oil to use (typically from 6 to 8 drops). A nice aroma should begin to fill the air.
- Check the reservoir periodically. Maintain an appropriate level of water in the oil dish, adding warm water only when it gets low. Adding cold water could crack the reservoir.
- Keep an eye on your candle. If it begins to smoke, immediately extinguish it and let it cool until it's solid. Then, if you'd like, replace your candle and begin the process again.
- A smoking candle emits soot into the air and not only does it smell bad, it's unhealthy!
- Sit back, relax and inhale your aromas. Enjoy!
- Always keep your oil warmer away from children and pets.
- Always place the oil warmer on a flat, level and heat resistant surface.
- Do not place the oil warmer in a location where it will be easily knocked over.
- NEVER leave a burning candle unattended.
- Do not place near curtains or flammable materials.
- Keep your oil warmer clean; wash after each use.
- After cooling, dispose of any unused liquid, the sooner you do this, the easier it is to clean your warmer.
- NEVER put essential oils directly into the reservoir of your warmer without adding warm water first.
- Do not let the reservoir become dry while the candle is burning. Excess heat could result in breakage and essential oils are flammable.
- Do not overfill the reservoir of your warmer.
- Always allow your candle to cool before moving or cleaning.